Town Beaches & Parking Lots
A current Town of Old Lyme Beach Parking Permit is required to park seasonally. The permit must hang on your rearview mirror. Lifeguards are on duty seven (7) days per week June 17 through September 4, 10am to 5pm. Staffing could be full-time earlier, depending on the weather and the crowds.
Please note at White Sand Beach: The Town Beach is located between the two beach sections of the White Sand Beach Association. These two beach areas are private and for the exclusive use of White Sand Beach Association members only. Old Lyme Town Residents' parking is limited to the Town Parking Lot only. Please respect the Association's rules and regulations.
White Sand Beach Town Beach / Parking Lot & Hains Park Rules
- The Beach/Park and Parking Lots close at 9 pm
- Park within the lined spaces at White Sand Beach
- Current beach parking passes are required
- No alcohol
- No littering
- No campfires or grilling
- No Swim floats and rafts
- No Fireworks
- Please be respectful of all beachgoers and their space
America’s First Public Beach, established in 1892, is a 100-foot section of public beach, located at the end of Hartford and Swan Avenues. The beach is open from 9am to 8pm.
The Town of Old Lyme operates a public parking lot and street parking on Hartford Ave., a total of paid 80 spaces, including 3 Handicap spaces and 5 spaces for golf carts. Parking fees are charged from 9am to 6pm and all parking is paid through the Passport Parking app. https://www.passportparking.com/ You will need a smart phone to access this app. The lot is open from 9am to 9 pm (closing time dependent on weather and staffing) Entrance is on Hartford Ave.
There are 13 free 30-minute business spaces on the street and lot. 15 spaces in the lot are reserved for resident parking passes only. A resident parking pass may be used in any lot or street paid space if the reserved spaces are filled. One vehicle per space - Motorcycle, Car, or Golf Cart.
The first 2 hours $7.50 (daily)
- Weekend & Holidays @$9.50 for each additional hour
- Weekdays @ $6.50 for each additional hour
All fees are plus transaction fees and tax
There are seven privately owned & permitted parking lots which provide 178 parking spaces. (Three on Swan Avenue, three on Portland Avenue and one located on Pond Road.) Their times and parking fees are determined by the operators.
- Parking on any street other than designated spaces on Hartford Avenue is prohibited.
- Parking regulations are strictly enforced. Illegal parking will result in ticketing and towing at the owner’s expense.
- Golf Carts must be registered with the Town of Old Lyme Sound View Commission and are subject to special use regulations
- Residents may obtain a Resident Parking Pass through the Town of Old Lyme website.
Traffic & Beach Capacity Closures
The gates at Swan and Portland Avenues may be closed to entry on high-traffic days and entry to Sound View will be via Hartford Avenue. When the beach reaches capacity, signage will be placed at Hartford Avenue and Shore Road “Beach & Parking Full, Business and resident traffic only” or similar wording.
No lifeguard on duty - swim at your own risk
Prohibited Items / Activities
- Littering - Alcoholic beverages - Pets - Motorized vehicles - Glass containers
- Ball playing - Open fires/grills - Watercraft tied to any swim/buoy line - Fireworks
- Loitering - Camping, sleeping on beach after dark, Enclosed Tents, Smoking or Vaping,
- All containers may be subject to inspection
- Cooler size restriction - No coolers larger than 5 quarts allowed on the beach
- Stand-up paddle boards (SUP) are prohibited within the designated swim areas per order of the Selectmen
The beach is open from 9am to 8pm. Police/Rangers strictly enforce the beach closing time.
Prohibited Vehicles (Swan, Hartford, Portland Avenues)
- Livery with capacity 10 or more
- Class “A” RVs
- Bus Conversion RVs
First Offense: $500 Fine