When do I not need a Certificate of Appropriateness?

A Certificate of Appropriateness is not required for repair or replacement of previously existing features or paint colors. However, please contact the Historic District Commission prior to doing any work if you are not absolutely sure whether or not you need a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Although not necessarily requiring a Certificate of Appropriateness (in many cases a phone call may be sufficient) the Commission should be consulted about the following:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Aluminum or vinyl siding (not permitted on buildings of historic importance)
  • Dumpsters
  • Benches
  • Fireplaces and cooking facilities (outdoor)
  • Garden and architectural ornaments (including sculptures)
  • Gutters and downspouts
  • Exterior lights and lanterns
  • Oil and propane tanks
  • Security system signs
  • Shutters (blinds)
  • Skylights, roof windows and solar-heating panels
  • Storm and screen doors and storm windows
  • Antennas
  • Utility boxes and meters
  • Ventilating fans
  • Window boxes and planters

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. When do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. When do I not need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
4. How can I get an application form for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
5. How long does it take to get a decision regarding a Certificate of Appropriateness application?
6. What does it cost to get a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What determines if a Certificate of Appropriateness is approved or not?
8. How can I appeal a Certificate of Appropriateness decision?