A Brief History and Overview
The Probate Court, District of Old Lyme, was established by act of the Connecticut General Assembly in 1830 as the Probate Court, District of Lyme. Probate records from May 1, 1666 to June 4, 1830 are held in New London. Probate records from June 4, 1830 to date are held in Old Lyme. On July 24, 1868, the court name was changed from District of Lyme to District of Old Lyme. On July 4, 1869, division of the Old Lyme Probate District established a new probate district for the Town of Lyme. The Probate Court for the District of Old Lyme is one of 123 probate courts in the State of Connecticut.
During the seventy-seven years from 1830 to 1907 there were 17 men who held the office of Judge of Probate. There have been six judges in the last 97 years, including two women. The longest tenure served for this district was Judge Robert H. Noble, from 1920 to 1951.
Since 1850, the voters of the town or towns within a probate district have elected probate judges. Judges do not have to be attorneys, but each judge must be an elector of a town within the district. Judges serve four-year terms. Mandatory retirement age is 70.
Probate Court procedures and the statutes, which set forth the duties and obligations of probate judges, are constantly under review so that improvements may be made which will be of benefit to those needing the services of the Probate Court.
The Probate Court has a variety of informational brochures available. As always, you are welcome to visit the court for information relating to the functions and procedures of the Probate Court.