Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 11/14/2017
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
November 14, 2017



ATTENDANCE


Regular Members Present: Bob Doyen, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Mike Magee, Jeff Meinke (alternate), Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steven Ross

Absent:  Robert Falaguerra, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Tom Meyer

Guests:  Keith Neilson (Docko), Alan Todd (100 Mile Creek Road)

Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.

Jeff Meinke was seated for Tom Meyer.


REPORTS
a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Ned Farman moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting October 10, 2017 and Bob Doyen seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
Steven Ross reported that he had received letters from Keith Neilson of Docko regarding the Todd and Filbert properties, a copy of a letter sent to Krista Romero of the DEEP from Keith Neilson regarding a concept plan for the Filbert property.  A letter from Keith Neilson regarding riverway travel markers (Black Hall Marina) and another letter from Keith Neilson regarding the Rotolo property on Devitt Road.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for September and October 2017  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for September and October 2017.  
Beginning Balance:  $25,674.45, Interest / Dividends: $38.52, Receipts: $50, Disbursements: $105.95, Ending Balance: $25,657.02. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

Steven Ross moved to move item REPORTS d. in the agenda until after NEW BUSINESS and to move NEW BUSINESS items pertaining to Docko to this point in the agenda.  Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

d. Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman
Moved in the agenda.


NEW BUSINESS
Applications for Docks, etc.
b.      Filbert application revision after review by DEEP
Keith Neilson of Docko presented a revised sketch of the project (26 Neck Road) that was previously reviewed by the HMC.  The main issue being the float size needed for stability vs the allowed float size according to the HMC Dock Standards.  There was a discussion.  Keith has not submitted this application to the DEEP as final plans are not complete, and he will wait until the HMC approves and institutes the proposed addition to the HMC Plan Addendum.

c.      Alan Todd – ladder changes – October 31
Keith Neilson of Docko reviewed the ongoing issue with the kayak lift (ladder) on the dock on the property of Alan Todd.  The Commission reminded Keith that at the HMC October meeting, the Commission voted that the existing kayak lift was in violation according to the Town-wide Dock Standards, and they suggest that Mr. Todd find a way to correct this to bring it into compliance. There was a discussion.  The Commission understands the frustration of Mr. Todd.  Steven Ross moved to table this matter, allowing Mr. Todd time to contact the manufacturer of the ladder for a reasonable way on how to bring the ladder into compliance, and also so the HMC can work on developing its authority to grant a waiver for substantive reasons.  Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Steven Ross asked Keith Neilson to explain his letter to the DEEP of which Steven received a copy regarding the marker on the Black Hall River.  There was a discussion.

Steven Ross asked Keith Neilson to discuss his letter addressed to Krista Romero of the DEEP of which Steven received a copy regarding the Rotolo property on Devitt Road.  There is a grandfathered walkway and floating dock on the property.  Docko is proposing a new float and walkway that will be consistent with the Town Dock Standards.  He will request that the DEEP accept these changes.  The Commission had no issues with these changes.  Keith Neilson asked the Commission to send a letter of support of these proposed changes to Krista Romero of DEEP. He agreed to provide a draft letter to the Chairman.


CURRENT BUSINESS
a.       Member Appointments
Election of officers for this Commission will be held at the December meeting.  Steven Ross agreed to stay on as Chairman, Bill Harris agreed to stay on as Treasurer and Mike Magee agreed to stay on as Secretary.  Vice – Chairman Ned Farman informed the Commission that he will not stay on the Commission due to personal obligations.  Steven Ross asked that any members who would like to be Vice – Chairman to please contact him.  The Commission offered their profound thanks and appreciation for all that Ned Farman contributed to the Harbor Management Commission.   In January Jeff Meinke will be named by the Board of Selectmen as a full member.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Negotiation with Rock River Assoc. for use of land to build additional boat racks
Mike Magee updated the Commission.  Once both parties review the agreement and get back to Bonnie Reemsnyder, it will go to the Town Attorney.  Mike will stay in touch with Bonnie over this matter.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Mike Magee reported on Mike Mackey’s behalf as Mike Mackey was absent.
Three of the four rollers are missing.  Mike Magee will get in touch with Dave Peterson and ask him to replace the missing rollers and inquire if there is a solution of fastening the rollers with a bolt and nut instead of removable pin so that they do not go missing.

Steven Ross moved to approve the cost of replacing the rollers and that the pins be replaced with something that cannot be removed easily.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Road Improvement Committee
John MacDonald presented his notes on the “Halls Road Improvement Committee Listening Session” which was held on November 9 at Town Hall.  This was sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. John Curtis of the HRIC made a PowerPoint presentation of the Committee’s latest ideas which included: sidewalks, safety, lighting, bridge over Lt. River, recreation, trees, transportation, modality, seating, crosswalks, wheelchair access, plowing of sidewalks.  In summary, they have applied for a grant for planning / design.  Currently there is no budget, and no conceptualization drawing for the area.

e.         Discuss any changes / additions to Dock Standards HMC Plan Addendum
Steven Ross presented a draft for the proposed addition to the HMC Plan Addendum.  Commission members reviewed and made some changes.  Steven Ross will include the changes to the draft and send it off to David Blatt at DEEP for his review.


COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14
There are four available to sell.    

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut updated the Commission on items that he had dealt with in the past two months.  He had received notification from the EnCon police that a 20-foot center console had sunk about ¼ mile off the coast of Sound View. He presented a notice to Alan Todd that his dock was still in violation and called him to remind him to come to tonight’s meeting. He removed three illegal moorings from the water and sent letters to two people who had not gotten permits this past summer. He spoke to Dave Peterson and let him know that the Commission had received his bill.

c.      Harbor Master Stipend not paid by DOT Update
This remains the same:  DEEP will compensate Harry Plaut for the 29 days in his first year (2014), and the full second year (2015). This request and approval has gone off to the proper department at the State and a check will be sent to Harry in the near future. He was compensated for 2016 and 2017.  


NEW BUSINESS
Applications for Docks, etc. (Discussed earlier in the Agenda)
a.      Black River Nav Marker – Notify Coast Guard that marker will be in the water 2018
Robert Falaguerra was going to contact the Coast Guard on this matter letting them know that the marker was not in the water in 2017, but will be placed in 2018 and we will let them know the coordinates.  Robert could not report because he was absent from the meeting.

b.      Filbert application revision after review by DEEP – discussed earlier
c.      Alan Todd – ladder changes – October 31 – discussed earlier


REPORTS
d. Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman
Ned Farman reported that for a number of years the Commission has been looking at the site on the Lt. River directly across from Morning Glory Restaurant that is currently being used for crabbing and fishing with the concern of the degradation of the riverbank due to this use.  The Commission has discussed getting an ADA compliant means of conveyance down to the riverbank including a platform to launch kayaks.  Ned stated that it is his hope that with the support of the Commission we will officially in these minutes identify it as a project to be pursued, and would point out that the relevant plot of land was transferred from the state to the Town and already being used with the degradation to the riverbank.  Parking already exists, but would need some modifications.  This would be a small-scale project.  Ned would like the Commission to identify this as a goal. A plan would need to be created, following with an RFP / RFQ.  Ned believes that a rough estimate would be less than $100,000.  In summary, the Commission would need to lay the framework which would be crucial to receive funding from the SHIP (Small Harbor Improvement Program) created by the Port Authority in Connecticut.  

Ned Farman moved that the Harbor Management Commission identify the previously discussed site across from Morning Glory (a Town-owned property north of Halls Road, west bank of Lt. River), and as a Commission proceed to get a design generated and put the project out to bid.  Steven Ross seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.


OTHER BUSINESS – None


PUBLIC COMMENT – None 


ADJOURNMENT
Mike Magee moved and Bob Doyen seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:03 PM.  
SO VOTED.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on December 12, 2017.


Submitted by,


Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)


 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM