Although current weather forecasts suggest that Hurricane Joaquin will have minimal impact on our area, it is always wise to Be Prepared!
Basic Emergency Supply Kit
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- At least a three-day supply of necessary medication for family members
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger.
Family Emergency Plan
- Identify an out-of town contact. It may be easier to make a long-distance phone call than to call across town, so an out-of-town contact may be in a better position to communicate among separated family members.
- Be sure every member of your family knows the phone number and has a cell phone, coins, or a prepaid phone card to call the emergency contact.
- If you have a cell phone, program that person(s) as "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) in your phone. If you are in an accident, emergency personnel will often check your ICE listings in order to get a hold of someone you know. Make sure to tell your family and friends that you’ve listed them as emergency contacts.
The Town of Old Lyme has launched Old Lyme Alerts. Residents and business owners register with their contact information in order to automatically receive messages from the Town about emergency situations. The contact information provided is protected and will not be used for any other purpose. Old Lyme Alerts registration cards are available in the Town Hall, OLPGN Library, and Lymes' Senior Center, or you can register online:Old Lyme Alerts